Saturday, October 19, 2013

It's Right There, right in front of you

Let’s talk about how “You can be whatever you want to be” is lazy and dishonest, because there are certain things you can’t be and shouldn’t even try to be.
The problem is that most of us look outside of our actual life to find our purpose in life, as if it’s just sitting in someone else’s house, on their cracked leather couch, waiting for us to ring the doorbell, if only someone would give us the address.
Oh, I hope you find where your deep joy meets the world’s great need, as someone once said. But I don’t think that happens by reading lots of books on finding your purpose in life. And I don’t think you’ll find your purpose in life by looking outside of your actual life.
The dirty little secret behind finding your purpose in life is that it’s right there, right in front of you, it’s just buried under the expectation that finding it will solve all of your problems and make you ridiculously happy.
--Steve Wiens at:
Don't tell anyone but secretly, I'm a dreamer.  I kinda like that about myself, but this coin has two sides. 

I can see possibility in almost everything but that leads to expectations and some expectations can suffocate reality.
When you see great possibility, you have to remember that it is just a possibility, a potential future.
Possibility is not to be used to measure or judge reality.
When possibility is used to judge reality, reality will never, ever measure up.  
You can't bloom where you're planted today when you are judging your garden by what it may be in the spring.
You can't be happy in this moment when you are judging it by a dream.
You will miss your purpose in this moment when your head and heart are somewhere else.
I know.  Oh, I know.  I write this to myself, as a reminder.
The softness of sweet Seven's cheek surprised me today though I get goodnight kisses from her every night. My purpose in all those other goodnight kisses was to be her sweet momma but I barely remember the brush of her face because maybe I was waiting for her to go so I could get back to what I was doing.
My purpose in this moment is to write my heart to you but I almost missed it trying to check a chore off my list.
My purpose is to love but I miss it even though it's right there in front of me.  
Our purpose is in the faces of our kids, the touch of the one we love, the cleaning and the earning.  Our purpose is in the voice of a friend who says it's all fine.
Feed and water the purpose right in front of you, let it grow into one of those possibilities that fill your dreams.
here and now,
m

The posts people like the most from this series:

No comments:

Post a Comment